Saturday, March 6, 2010

Day 4

Saturday March 6th Day 4


Woke up at 3:30 am, waited around until 6 and and headed outside to watch the sun rise over the Snows. I was a little disappointed with the lack of colors but the air is dirty. I was also not happy with the way the sun played over the surfaces of the hills. Much of the facing area was not high lighted by the rising sun. A set of peaks further away faced east enough to get the direct sun. I will have to watch several more sun rises to get a feel for what I can expect. I also discovered that if the stars are out the night before, the Snows will most probably appear. So much to learn about the area. I realized that I had seen only one sunrise here before so I had no real idea where east was from this area. I suppose that it is always in the east but how the hills are placed in reference to east is not what I expected.


This has not been a good day and it is only 3:00 pm. I walked a couple of miles down the hill in an attempt to find an ATM machine. When you walk down you have to walk back UP and so far the best I have done is 4 miles all on the level as I am trying to get my body ready to walk at this altitude. So walking 4 miles, half of it mostly uphill, was a greater challenge than I bargained for. The guard of the Bank where I tried to get Rupees on my Credit card indicated that the path was much shorter. I finally found the ATM, after asking an American woman, and put in my credit card. It would not work and so I tried several more times. At this point the machine kept my credit card. If you try too many time to use the same card in an ATM the card is confiscated to prevent a thief from trying several times to get the card to work. I then figured out that I had brought the wrong card. I should have brought my ATM card because I had a PIN for it but not for the credit card. I now have to make a phone call to the international number but I do not know how to make an international call much less a collect one. Tomorrow, Sunday, I will go to a english speaking church and see if I can find someone to help me make this phone call.


The day is still young but I am going to post this now and fill in the rest of the story later.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I have twin sons with 2 children each. I will miss them when in India. I have been a job gypsy all my life looking for new challenges constantly. I got bored quickly except when teaching. 3 years as a Middle School Music Teacher and 9 years as an Assistant Professor of Music. I played in a Country Western Band when I went back to college at 39 to get a degree in Accounting. I was a CPA that worked in various companies, the longest for 5 years and the shortest for 2 days. I spent most of my accounting life working as a Project Accountant where I would come in to solve a particular problem. I was rarely required to do a lot of the boring stuff for very long. With the passing of my wife and NO job to go to, I can now pursue my dreams in India.

Followers