Saturday, April 17, 2010

Thursday April 15 Day 44

Thursday April 15 Day 44


Well I did it again. I walked much further that I should have and actually had trouble getting back up to the top of the hill. I went exploring trails on the map. I went to an area called the Eastwood Estates. I may have actually gone there one time. I walked my girl friend, Judy Howard, home after track and field practice. Other than that one time I do not believe i have ever been there. The forest canopy is much different there than anywhere else on the hill side. Most of the trees are so covered with leaves that one cannot see the ground between the trees at all. Here there is an open feeling between the trees. It is most startling and beautiful. I shall be taping there tomorrow afternoon.


On my lengthly way back up the hill I found one of the trails that we used frequently. It goes from the residential area up to the main road that leads to the bazar. It is the shortest way to get from the Hostel to the Landour Bazar. I am sure it is still in use. In 1959 the school had a Jeep pickup. In October the jeep was used to transport the food for Woodstock to the Olympics (the inter school track and field competition). It was the first time that a motorized vehicle made it up the hill from Ridgewood to the Tehri Road. They had to actually lengthen the curves just before the trail reached the main road. The Jeep had to go up a stretch then it would backup the next stretch. The curves were too tight to drive around them. It did this forward / backup maneuver about 5 times. We thought it was a great bit of engineering to get the Jeep up the last stretches of the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I have twin sons with 2 children each. I will miss them when in India. I have been a job gypsy all my life looking for new challenges constantly. I got bored quickly except when teaching. 3 years as a Middle School Music Teacher and 9 years as an Assistant Professor of Music. I played in a Country Western Band when I went back to college at 39 to get a degree in Accounting. I was a CPA that worked in various companies, the longest for 5 years and the shortest for 2 days. I spent most of my accounting life working as a Project Accountant where I would come in to solve a particular problem. I was rarely required to do a lot of the boring stuff for very long. With the passing of my wife and NO job to go to, I can now pursue my dreams in India.

Followers