Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Monday May 16 Day 76

Monday May 16 Day 76


I logged the shots from yesterday and it took over 2 hours to complete. Today they clouds have moved in so NO taping. I will instead go to the bazaar and get my last infusion of funds. I shall go to the ATM gods and pray for money. I have purchased a cell phone and the 3 times I have tried to use it I couldn’t get anything. I shall go to the store where I purchased the phone and ask them.


I have observed the use of pressure cookers by everyone trying to prepare a meal. I finally figured it out. We are at 7,000 feet and the boiling point of water is not as hot as it is in Seattle (sea level). Therefore, it would take a whole lot longer to get your potatoes cooked, so the Indians use pressure cookers. I heard that in La Paz, Bolivia (the worlds highest capitol for you trivia fans), elevation 14,000 or 16,000 feet, that you can stick your hand into a pan of boiling water and not get burned. I bet pressure cookers are big hit in La Paz.


Jai Hind! (Hooray for India, usually not in a positive way when spoken by expatriates). A couple of weeks ago I purchased a phone to use in India. I have tried to call out 3 times and it would not work. Today I saw the young man who sold me the phone on the road. I shaved off my beard last night and he did not recognize me at all except for the back pack, white T-shirt and jeans. He tried the phone to call his cell phone. No luck. On my way to the ATM machine, I stopped off at his shop and it turns out the SIM card provider had failed to turn in the mountain of paper work to the government and so my SIM card was blocked. Only in India. They claim that the phone will be working in 8 hours, Yeah, right!!


My trip to the ATM was a failure. I was within 100 feet of the ATM machine when I remembered I did not have my ATM card. I will wait for the next cloudy day to get some money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I have twin sons with 2 children each. I will miss them when in India. I have been a job gypsy all my life looking for new challenges constantly. I got bored quickly except when teaching. 3 years as a Middle School Music Teacher and 9 years as an Assistant Professor of Music. I played in a Country Western Band when I went back to college at 39 to get a degree in Accounting. I was a CPA that worked in various companies, the longest for 5 years and the shortest for 2 days. I spent most of my accounting life working as a Project Accountant where I would come in to solve a particular problem. I was rarely required to do a lot of the boring stuff for very long. With the passing of my wife and NO job to go to, I can now pursue my dreams in India.

Followers